AWE Nite Florence presents “Digital Rights in the Metaverse” Thu Feb 10th 5pm CET (4pm GMT – 11am EST – 8am PST).
Join us and get to know XRSI industry experts.
The event will be introduced by KAVYA PEARLMAN | Founder & CEO of XRSI | The Cyber XR Coalition | Ready Hacker One ( RH1 ) | The MedicalXR Council at XRSI | The MRC |40 Under 40 SFBT | Innovator | Thought Leader | Cyber Guardian – Helping Safeguard The Metaverse
Following you will be able to meet
MARCO MAGNANO | Co-founder of XR Safety Initiative | President of XRSI Europe
VALENTINO MEGALE | CEO of Softcare Studios | Lead of XRSI Child Safety Initiative | Advisor of XRSI Medical XR Council
KRISTINA PODNAR | Digital Policy Sherpa | NativeTrust Consulting | LLC | Global Digital Policy Expert and Chair of the Metaverse Reality Check (MRC) | XRSI
What is the XR Safety Initiative (XRSI)?
What is the vision and mission of the XR Safety Initiative (XRSI)?
How important is it to protect your privacy, security and ethics in immersive environments (virtual reality, mixed reality and augmented reality)? Is all this still important in 2022?
How do you build safe and inclusive experiences so that XR stakeholders are able to make informed decisions? What are the risks to cyber security, privacy and ethics? Are digital rights human rights?
Do we need a new definition of Human Rights for the Metaverse?
How will the Metaverse address child safety?
How can the privacy and safety of young users be regulated? Will online platforms and large tech companies be able to control the privacy of the digital environments they create and host both individual users and entire social communities?
What is the power of digital politics in the Metaverse? Is the Metaverse full of promises and dangers to guard against? Is it necessary to create legislation for the Metaverse? What are the risks and opportunities that enable emerging technologies and how can we ensure they are encoded through digital policy?
Start: Thursday, February 10th, 5pm CET (4pm GMT – 11am EST – 8am PST)
Duration: 1 hour
5pm – 6pm CET
1) Welcome & Introduction by CECILIA LASCIALFARI | Co-Founder ARea6DoF| Creative Technologist | Event Organizer AWE Nite Florence
LinkedIn: Cecilia Lascialfari
2) Video introduction to XRSI by KAVYA PEARLMAN | Founder & CEO of XRSI | The Cyber XR Coalition | Ready Hacker One ( RH1 ) | The MedicalXR Council at XRSI | The MRC |40 Under 40 SFBT | Innovator | Thought Leader | Cyber Guardian – Helping Safeguard The Metaverse
XR Safety Initiative (XRSI) is a worldwide not-for-profit Standards Developing Organization (SDO) that promotes privacy, security, and ethics in immersive environments. XRSI launched the XRSI Privacy Framework for the XR and Spatial Computing domain in 2020 to address the impact of XR technologies on humankind and address the challenges related to Privacy, safety, and ethics in the Metaverse. The framework has been well received and has been a point of discussion among XR stakeholders and many regulatory entities worldwide.
LinkedIn: Kavya Pearlman
3) MARCO MAGNANO | Co-founder of XR Safety Initiative | President of XRSI Europe – Title of the speech: “Digital Rights are Human Rights
Marco Magnano is a journalist with a long experience in foreign policy, human rights, and global challenges, with a background in media activism and software development. In the last decade, he has traveled throughout Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, to uncover stories from the crisis areas. In 2019, he contributed to founding XRSI in San Francisco Bay, and at the end of 2021, he founded XRSI Europe in Torino.
Speech: Digital Rights are Human Rights
When emerging technologies reach a degree of evolution and adoption that bring them close to mass adoption, concerns regarding ethics, regulation, and practices emerge as well. When it comes to what we call “Metaverse” – the idea of an interoperable, immersive, decentralized, comprehensive new iteration of the Internet – we must put the persons, the citizens, the societies, at the center of the stage, and consider digital rights as human rights. But what does this mean in concrete? First of all, we need a new definition of Human Rights for the Metaverse, but never forget that we don’t even have a consensus on a definition for the “verse” we’re currently living in!
Linkedin: Marco Magnano
4) VALENTINO MEGALE | CEO of Softcare Studios | Lead of XRSI Child Safety Initiative | Advisor of XRSI Medical XR Council – Title of the speech: “Child Safety in the Metaverse“
Tech entrepreneur focused on digital health and mental well-being, Ph.D. in Neuropharmacology. CEO at Softcare Studios, Lead of XRSI Child Safety Initiative, Advisor at XRSI Medical XR Council, and Guest Associate Editor at Virtual Reality in Paediatrics on Frontiers. TEDx speaker, and writer on the topics of emerging tech, healthcare, and social impact. XR Safety Initiative (XRSI) is a worldwide not-for-profit Standards Developing Organization(SDO) that promotes privacy, security, and ethics in immersive environments. XRSI launched the XRSI Privacy Framework for the XR and Spatial Computing domain in 2020 to address the impact of XR technologies on humankind and address the challenges related to Privacy, safety, and ethics in the Metaverse. The framework has been well received and has been a point of discussion among XR stakeholders and many regulatory entities worldwide.
Speech: Child Safety in the Metaverse
Imaginary worlds have always been the playgrounds of choice for young individuals where to explore and confront reality, ideas, and relationships. Immersive technologies such as virtual reality and the future metaverse will bring to new generations innovative powerful tools for such a process. However, online platforms and big tech companies will play a bigger than ever active role in shaping and monitoring vast-scale digital environments hosting both single users and entire social communities. Privacy and safety of young users could be put at risk if such activities will be not developed within a shared regulatory perimeter, undergoing a continuous conversation among stakeholders, policy makers, and tech providers, aimed at building a safe metaverse with end-users and their rights at its core.
5) KRISTINA PODNAR | Digital Policy Sherpa | NativeTrust Consulting | LLC | Global Digital Policy Expert and Chair of the Metaverse Reality Check (MRC) | XRSI – Title of the speech: “The Power of Digital Policy in the Metaverse”
Kristina is a digital policy innovator. For over two decades, she has worked with some of the most high-profile entities in the world and has helped them see policies as opportunities to free the organization from uncertainty, risk, and internal chaos. Kristina’s approach brings in marketing, human resources, IT, legal, compliance, security, and procurement to create digital policies and practices that comply with regulation. More importantly though, they unlock opportunity, strengthen the brand, and liberate employees to create and drive innovation.
Kristina is the Digital Policy Sherpa at NativeTrust Consulting, LLC, a Digital Policy Advisor at The Cantellus Group, and is the Global Digital Policy Expert and Chair of Metaverse Reality Check (MRC) at the XR Safety Initiative (XRSI). She has a BA in international studies and an MBA in international business from the Dominican University of California. Her book, The Power of Digital Policy was published in 2019.
Speech: The Power of Digital Policy in the Metaverse
The Metaverse, as we understand it today, will be full of both promise and peril. Promise because we will have more ways to engage more users than ever before. Danger not only due to content and branding gaffs that mirror earlier days of the internet, but also due to the lack of a firm regulatory environment and advanced capabilities that we don’t even know exist. In this rapidly evolving environment, we absolutely must consider the risks and opportunities enabling emerging technologies and ensure that they are codified through digital policy. Only by actively choosing to govern, can we ensure that the Metaverse, when we get there, has guaranteed safety and rights for all users.
LinkedIn: Kristina Podnar
6) Closing and Final Q & A with ANTONY VITILLO | Co-Founder The Ghost Howls | Co-Founder New Technology Walker Co-Organizers AWE Nite Florence
Title of the debate: “How will our privacy be in the future?”
LinkedIn: Antony Vitillo
Expect a lively meeting, full of ideas, during which you can ask questions in the chat that the speakers will address live.
AWE.LIVE – HOW TO JOIN
To join the meetup, follow these 4 easy steps:
1. Reserve your spot today on the AWE Nite Florence Meetup page
2. Join the new awe.live community at https://awe.live/register and get your free ticket
3. Then visit awe.live to login to the community and set up your profile. On the agenda, RSVP to the AWE Nite Florence event on Feb 10th by clicking the register button on the session.
4. On Thursday, February 10th, when the session is LIVE, click Join the Session to view the discussion and network with speakers and attendees!
Watch the recording and the summary of the last events from AWE Nite Florence:
1) “Overview in the Italian XR Ecosystem”, 28th January 2021 – (Italian – English)
2) “Digital Italian Fashion in XR”, 25th February 2021 (Italian – English)
3) “Augmented and Virtual Psychology”, 25th March 2021 (Italian – English)
4) “Location Based VR & Entertainment in Italy”, 29th April 2021 (Italian – English)
5) “XR Glasses for Enterprise”, 27th May 2021 (English – Italian)
6) “Building the Future of eXtended Reality, Together”, 24th June 2021 (English – Italian)
7) “Digital and Virtual Events”, 15th October 2021 (English – Italian)
Here you will find information on AWE XR GLOBAL
Join us to create an international network of Professionals, Entrepreneurs, Curious, Artists, Academics, Programmers… enthusiastic people who together can help Italy’s XR community to grow further!
N.B. The event will be held in English as it will have international relevance. We encourage you to register on Meetup and AWE.LIVE in any case, so that you can receive updates on future events or new opportunities.
- ORI INBAR at “Flying Into The Metaverse Through Books & Culture” – AWE (Augmented World Expo) - 29/05/2023
- SONYA HASKINS at “Flying Into The Metaverse Through Books & Culture” – VR FEMALE WORLD - 26/05/2023
- ALAN SMITHSON at “Flying into the Metaverse Through Books and Culture” – METAVRSE - 23/05/2023