Charlie Fink writes the weekly Forbes column “This Week in XR” and co-hosts its eponymous companion podcast. He is the author of the upcoming book “Dissecting the Metaverse” (Fall 2022), “Remote Collaboration and the Future of Work” (2020), and the critically acclaimed AR-enabled books “Charlie Fink’s Metaverse” (2017), and “Convergence, How The World Will Be Painted With Data” (2019). He teaches XR at Chapman University Film School in Orange, CA.
This interview was recorded during the AWE USA, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California, in June 2022.
Found below the key points:
0:00:00 – Opening Theme
0:00:08 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Opening the interview”
0:00:20 – CHARLIE FINK: “Hi, I’m Charlie Fink”
0:00:22 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Welcome Charlie Fink”
0:00:26 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “This interview was recorded during the AWE USA 2022”
0:00:36 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “This Week in XR”
0:01:25 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Writing a book means putting a firm footing in the technology sector that is constantly on the move. Do you think it is necessary and important to do this for future generations?”
0:01:41 – CHARLIE FINK: Answer
0:02:17 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “You are the author of four books (one to be released in 2022). Can you tell us about how your books were born and what their evolution was?”
0:02:29 – CHARLIE FINK: Answer
0:04:44 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “This third question is really important to me because I work in a publishing house and I want to know your thoughts as you are the author of many books. Do you think publishing houses should pay more attention to professional publications in the XR sector?”
0:05:04 – CHARLIE FINK: Answer
0:05:21 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Can you make some predictions for the future? What do you think of the Metaverse?”
0:05:24 – CHARLIE FINK: Answer
0:05:27 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Tell me about your plans for the future… I want to know all the secrets you haven’t told anyone yet!”
0:05:53 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Thank you Charlie!”
0:05:54 – CHARLIE FINK: Answer
0:05:56 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Broken glasses”
0:05:57 – CHARLIE FINK: Answer
0:06:16 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Thank you Charlie!”
0:06:22 – CHARLIE FINK: “Thank you”
0:06:23 – CECILIA LASCIALFARI: “Who I am?”
0:06:43 – Closing Theme – Become sponsor of the “Flying Into The Metaverse Through Books & Culture”
CHARLIE FINK BOOKS
Charlie, even along with his collaborators, is a great book writer. Find below the information on the books already published and the direct link on Amazon.
CHARLIE FINK’S METAVERSE – AN AR ENABLED GUIDE TO AR & VR
Charlie Fink, who covers VR & AR for Forbes, brings thirty-five years of experience as an entertainment and technology executive to what he calls “the greatest business and technology story of our time”. He and his collaborators have created a guide to emerging VR & AR that is engaging to professionals, accessible to non-technical readers, and relentlessly entertaining to everyone. The book features original character animation, presented through our free app, “Fink Metaverse”, available in the App Store and Google Play.
“The Bible for VR & AR is an AR Book. I love this idea!” – Nolan Bushnell, Founder of Atari
“The most entertaining non-fiction book about computers ever written.” – Ted Leonsis, Vice Chairman Emeritus of AOL
“A must read for anyone concerned about where the future is headed.” – Alvin Graylin, President HTC Vive, China
“Charlie gets that blending the physical and digital worlds in mixed reality is the future of computing and explains it in a very compelling way.” – Alex Kipman, Microsoft Technical Fellow and HoloLens Inventor
“Required reading for those seeking to understand immersive computing.” – Frank Soqui, General Manager Virtual Reality, Intel Corporation
Contributors Include: Matt Miesnieks, Stephanie Llamas, Michael Eichenseer, Annika Steiber, Mark Billinghurst, Ori Inbar, Peter Wilkins, Dirk Schart, Samuel Steinberger, Walter Greenleaf, Tim Kashani, Tony Parisi, Kyle Menick, Samantha G. Wolfe, Tim Merel, Tamiko Theil, Zenka and Penrose Studios
Buy on Amazon: CHARLIE FINK’S METAVERSE – AN AR ENABLED GUIDE TO AR & VR
CONVERGENCE: HOW THE WORLD WILL BE PAINTED WITH DATA
In Convergence author and Forbes columnist Charlie Fink tells the story of Augmented Reality (AR), a new technology that’s already seeping into every smartphone and every workplace.
AR’s merger with new 5G and AI technologies will unleash a wave of innovation that will enable wearable, invisible, latency-free and ubiquitous computing.
The book uses a kind of mobile AR called “marker AR” to allow readers to use their smartphone to bring pages to life, demonstrating with art and entertainment how the world, and every person, place, and thing, will be painted with data.
Buy on Amazon: CONVERGENCE: HOW THE WORLD WILL BE PAINTED WITH DATA
REMOTE COLLABORATION & VIRTUAL CONFERENCING: THE FUTURE OF WORK
CHARLIE FINK BIOGRAPHY
- Charlie Fink writes the weekly Forbes column “This Week in XR” and co-hosts its eponymous companion podcast. He is the author of the upcoming Dissecting the Metaverse (Fall 2022), Remote Collaboration and the Future of Work(2020), and the critically acclaimed AR-enabled books Charlie Fink’s Metaverse (2017), and Convergence, How The World Will Be Painted With Data (2019). He teaches XR at Chapman University Film School in Orange, CA.
- Charlie Fink’s forty year career at the convergence of popular culture and technology began at Walt Disney Feature Animation in 1987 where he famously came up with the idea for The Lion King and became the studio’s youngest creative Vice-President.
Fink’s work in technology began in 1992 when he joined Tim Disney’s pioneering location-based VR company, Virtual World Entertainment, as its COO.
- In 1995, AOL recruited him to be Senior Vice President & Chief Creative Officer of AOL Studios (1995-1999). Fink was President of American Greetings Interactive and Blue Mountain (2000-2004). His other experience includes exits from several startups and running the New York Musical Festival. Fink’s consulting clients include both tech giants and start ups trying to find their place in the rapidly evolving metaverse ecosystem.
- Charlie Fink is a sought after speaker who travels the world talking about immersive technologies, the Metaverse, and the history of digital media and the Internet.
A representative list of appearances over the past five years is provided at this link:
CHARLIE FINK SPEAKERS
CHARLIE FINK ON FORBES
Charlie Fink successfully manages a column on Forbes, which you can visit by going to this link: CHARLIE FINK on FORBES
WHY CONNECT WITH CHARLIE?
AR and VR represent a revolution in computing as impactful as the smartphone. This is developing into the greatest business story of our time, starring the biggest companies in the world. Hundreds of billions of dollars are at stake, and no one knows how it’s going to end. Thirty-five years of experience in media and technology have led Charlie to three basic beliefs which provide the filter through which he views this remarkable story:
1) Apps succeed when they make what we are already doing better, cheaper and faster.
2) The killer app is other people.
3) Everyone overestimates the present and underestimates the future.
You can consult Charlie for all these types of skills:
- Film and Video Production
- Produce Podcasts, Conferences
- Startups, Strategy, Business Plans
- Corporate Storytelling, Collateral, Presentations
- Go-to Market Strategy, Tactics
- Social Media Campaigns
- Connections & Meetings Venture Capital
- Connections & Meetings VR/AR Space
CHARLIE FINK PODCAST
A pithy take on the week’s tech news, followed by interviews with industry guests. Hosted by Forbes Tech Columnist, Professor Charlie Fink, and Ted Schilowitz, Futurist at Paramount Global.
Hosted on Acast. This is the direct link to listen CHARLIE FINK PODCAST
CHARLIE FINK ON LINKEDIN
You can connect to Charlie Fink on LinkedIN and with his 28.818 followers click on this link: CHARLIE FINK ON LINKEDIN to follow all his news daily.
GatherVerse continues to grow with its exceptional community and create very special events on the GatherVerse.live platform.
The next must-see event will be GatherVerse EU SUMMIT on 20th and 21th September. Find all references here: GatherVerse EU
The “Flying Into The Metaverse Through Books & Culture” project is featured on the platform and you can find the videos in the playlist dedicated to this link.
AWE EU – LISBON PORTUGAL
The next AWE appointment will be in Europe and we can’t wait for it to arrive soon!
On 20 and 21 October we will all physically meet in Lisbon for AWE EU.
You still have time to sign up using the ARea6DoF discount code. See you in Lisbon!
ARea6DoF in agreement with AWE, therefore offers the opportunity to have a 20% discount on the ticket price, to those who want to participate in AWE EU 2022.
ONLY 50 people/companies can take advantage of the discount I published here on my site…
It’s not too soon to get your ticket for AWE EU with the discount!!! Find below the discount code to enter during the ticket purchase procedure and also find the link that takes you directly to a page where the discount is already applied (you can follow one of the two procedures).
- CHARLIE FINK at “Flying Into The Metaverse Through Books & Culture” – This Week in XR - 18/09/2022
- XR WOMEN at “Flying Into The Metaverse Through Books & Culture” – JULIE SMITHSON, KAREN ALEXANDER, CHRISTINE HILL HOBBI - 08/09/2022
- 20% OFF DISCOUNT CODE FOR AWE EU LISBON, PORTUGAL, 2022 - 10/08/2022